Sunday 21 November 2010

All Weather Kinda Girl..











Growing up I was one of those kids that simply COULD NOT stand the weather. I had something negative to say about every single season. When I was in winter I would complain, mourn and go on and on about how I just couldn’t wait for summer to get here. Well it should come as no surprise then when I tell you that as soon as summer came it wouldn’t take me long to complain about how the blazing heat was ruining my complection and melting my pleather (though now that I think about it I don’t even know what the hell I was doing wearing pleather in the SUMMER). Yes month after month, year after year that was me, making sure I was not being 'little miss sunshine', to the chagrin of my mother and those around me. Well it wasn’t untill I got a little bit older that I had my very first notable epiphany. It was INGENIOUS. I decided that I would, in fact, begin to change my clothes to suit the weather. So you must be wondering what is so ingenious about this. it is after all a basic concept that ones clothes must change according to the weather, atleast it should be or why else are billions of dollars spent each year, each season, on advertisements for next seasons latest attire. Well then allow me to ellaborate. I remember during winter I would gear up with my thick cotton trousers, my warm woollen vests, a long sleeved shirt on topp of that,and another on top of that. And then I'd hawl on my great big bomber jacket and warm woollen scalf. I’d even throw on a wool headsock just for good measure. When I was well satisfied and contented that I was all warm and ready to go, I would finally go to my shoes closet and woop out my favourite pink.....Wait for it..... Wait for it..... PUMPs.. Yes, in the middle of a blizzard, hale storm, WATEVA, my favourite inappropriate footwear was sure to follow.


 In my old secondary school we used to say ‘fashion beats the weather’, our little slogan for all the times we wore inappropriate clothing that left us with partial frostbite, all in the name of 'looking good'. I mean no one needs a clashing sweater to ruin a perfectly good outfit. Yes this carried on all throughout the year. Like I said, whether it was wearing pleather or leather boots during the summer as a revolutionary fashion trend or a plunge line blouse during the winter to show off my latest accessory, my disregard for the seasonal-dressing code of conduct was making my life that much more uncomfortable and my seasons that much more miserable.


 Life is a lot like that. Unless you decide to adapt your attitude, character and so on according to the season your life is in at a given time, it will just be but one miserable, uncomfortable season after another. If you don't learn to cry when it hurts and Laugh when it is funny or Pray when you're in trouble and praise when you're not you will be in for some serious discomfort. Soon you’re hating the climate that is your life.. Endlessly wishing you resided in a different climate despite the fact that it is here to stay. I mean God only gave you ONE climate, ONE life to do with it what you wish. To adapt to the seasons and dress accordingly. To slip into your slippers of FAITH or boots of STRENGTH, your scarf of COURAGE or hat of HOPE when it so calls, and YES even if you have to leave your favourite accessory behind. WHY?? Because, the the circumstance and season at hand calls for change. so CHANGE.Wondering and pondering what it would be like if the sun was out, or if it wasn't hailing really doesn't help your cause because guess what.. its NOT. Take a hint look at he goose bumps on your arm, the worry lines on your forehead, the frown on your lips and make a positive change. The storm may be bad, but guess what? you're READY and geared to conquer.


So now, for me,when winter approaches I simply pack up my gorgeous summer pumps whip out my winter wellies so I can go and enjoy playing in the snow.. All the while anxiously awaiting the next time my pumps can make an appearance.

So what am I saying??
We all go through trials in our lives. We all have all time HIGHS and all time LOWS. We have life really beat down on us, knock us out and then laugh at us when we fail to get up. Sometimes we lose loved ones and other times have terrible things happen to us. Unmentionable things in our winter. But we cant allow the winter to dictate our enjoyment of the summer. No matter what it feels like now moments of true HAPPINESS will also come your way. Times that will call for celebration and joy. Be it something as huge as a wedding or  be it something as small as the exchange of a genuine smile, there are always moments. But if we are too busy thinking and dwelling on what happened in the winter, thinking of the really tough time we had we miss those moments. And before we know it everyday for the rest of our time on this earth, Our life will feels like winter. COLD. You’ll feel it, your loved ones will know youre feeling it, and before you know it everyone you care about will know you're feeling it.  And Lets face it, no one wants to be confronted by the chills of a cold winter breeze each time they come around you. Frostbite just isn’t a good look. So before you know it you find you’re left with no one, with no one but you to blame.


I mean have you ever seen that one relative at the family gathering who seems to just be miserable ALL THE TIME and has something negative to say about ANYTHING. Like you ask them 'would you like something to drink?' And they go on and on about how once 5 years ago they couldn’t even afford bottled water so they had to drink from the tap and then the tap water was dirty so it gave them some stomach problems and that they had to go to the hospital which in turn meant hospital bills, that they also couldn’t pay for.. And the list goes on and on.INCEASANTLY. I mean, who wants to be around that person. You just bring the water and quickly excuse yourself politely, all the while eyeing  and gesturing at someone else across the room in true mockery fashion.

So what does one do then.. What i
s the magic formula??.. Its simple

Be an all weather girl
'There is a time for everything..
 A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up.4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, and a time to dance. (Ecclessiaates 3:1-15)  .....So see each season of your life through with the appropriate attitude.

Some of us are still wearing last seasons autum coat in this seasons winter. 

Hell NO!
Its time to adapt girl.. lemonade from lemons!

13 comments:

  1. I am happy to say that this is my time to heal and my time to build up! You are right, life is what we make out of it, if we wanna be depressed and miserable or complain and complain, its irritating, and for sure nobody wnts to be around that. Take everything as a blessing, take each day as a blessing. Because we are blessed! Give thanks, think positively and not negatively. Also never worry about situations you cant do anything about, being on that rocking chair never takes anyone anywhere.Look on th bright side!
    Thats the direction I decided to take and now is my time to laugh and dance. I am happy to have made lemonade from those large juicy lemons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmh I better adapt and get a new wardrobe for this winter kekeke

    ReplyDelete
  3. am so never wearing pumps in winter...never again. Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. khoti thats right.. am so proud of you.. you had some pretty juicy lemons so am sure u have made some absolutely delicious lemonade and am glad to say that as a part of your life i get to take some sips..kisses.. no evelyn NEVER wear pumps in the winter.. i couln't even feel mt toes.. they were curled up in a bowl in a frostbite manner..

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww i love hun :) tamika

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what most people need.. we dont realise how much damage we inflict upon ourselves over and over again, season in season out!
    I love you
    Lengi
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOO I love this I am NOT an all weather girl!I wear the same things every season not metaphoriacally though like literally i wear the same things the only diff is whether the is a jacket or not!
    you are a good writer!!I know you dont know me but I commend you and ask that you never stop imparting your wisdom upon us!
    Like I said I know you dont know me but I love you! Very much and I can say that knowing you are a christian sister who understands what i mean when I say it
    God Bless you always my dear!I love you and love from my husband and Kids who all had to endure listening to everything because I couldnt get over how GREAT you are
    My husband was very attentive actually hehe!! Well God Bless you Always look forward to everything to come!
    I wont put my name incase you try to block me for the fear of me saying a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. royal rowenesss :)23 November 2010 at 05:26

    indeed there is a time for everything, sometimes we get left one step behind the program! Thank you for this reminder, that our outlook on life is essentially up to us. Someone always has it worse than you and although we shouldn't pride ourselves on that, we should continually thank our creator for the blessings he gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah we need to heal more often.. and get left behind less often.. no one wants to be a 'oh her' or a 'oh him'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is how I am. One hundred percent. I complain when it's cold and when it's hot. And in life, too, I have the tendency to not count my blessings....even on the fairly good days. Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha fashion beats the weather. lol
    Good correlation to life seasons =)
    twa

    ReplyDelete
  12. trends come and go...but the labels that forever remain in style are positivity, faithfulness, courage and my all time favorite..love! So lets wear the right labels guys, not literally but metaphorically..be it winter, summer, spring or fall...you would be surprised how far the right attitude AND outfit can get u..lol..miss chisanga, high 5 on this one...u are awesome...chibby..:)

    ReplyDelete